[tei-council] reminder

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 29 17:25:17 EDT 2009

Thanks for these Gabby. I've just made the following changes:

> (1) dimensions: maybe give at least one example of dimensions
> containing <dim> (perhaps diameter, which is probably more common than
> circumference). Also remove or correct the note at the end saying that
> this contains only height, width, and depth.

I didn't use diameter, because then I'd have to decide how it differed
from "width". But I did add another example, and removed the
superannuated note.

> (2) height/width/depth: I still don't find the definitions of these
> elements very helpful (depth seems not to have changed, and still
> implicitly refers to a codex). Surely the height, width, and depth of
> an inscribed monument, for example, are defined not in relation to the
> text (which may be on any surface) but to gravity and the viewer,
> respectively. There must be a better description of these dimentions
> in archaeological terms (I'll see if I can find a reference...)

Had another go at improving those definitions. Dont expect you'll like
these any better though.

> (3) att.dimensions: can we add an example of @extent containing a word
> such as "unknown" or "about half the page width", rather than just the
> (presumably deprecated) number+unit combination?

Done

> (4) att.ranging: might the (much misunderstood) relationship of
> @atLeast/atMost and @min/max be clarified slightly by the addition of
> "the approximate measurement" (for the former pair) and "more than one
> observation _or a range_" (for the latter)? Maybe someone can suggest
> an even better way to make this difference clear...?
> (@notBefore/notAfter and @from/to are better expressed on datable.)

I am not sure that these are much less likely to be misunderstood, but
have adopted them anyway

> (5) att.datable-w3c: picky correction, but <date when="0056">56
> AD</date> should of course read "AD 56".

OK, done

> (6) Probably outside the scope of "minor corrections", but I still
> amn't convinced by the numeric @degree attribute on certainty and
> precision. (It strikes me as an example of what a senior epigraphy
> coleague refers to as "spurious exactitude"--what does a precision of
> 0.5 mean?) Not wanting to upset those who habitually use numerals
> here, and even less so to break backward-compatibility, how about we
> add the existing attributes @cert (to certainty) and @precision (to
> precision), with their current suggested values 'low', 'medium', and
> 'high'?

As you say, this is not a minor correction, so nothing done.

> (7) app: I note that the prose description of app seems not to have
> changed from the good old days when it could only be used to represent
> a set of variant readings. I'm pretty sure this has changed, and so
> the description, "May contain an optional lemma and one or more
> readings" is no longer true. App may now contain zero readings, and
> also some combination of model.global. Can the prose be updated to
> reflect this?

Yes: I zapped another superannuated <remarks> element
> (8) expan: here is an example (which I should have supplied long ago)
> of expan used without choice:

> (I think this is better than
> just confuses matters, and probably belongs under "am" anyway...)

Couldn't find the latter eg, but have added the former.
> (9) lb: should we add an example of the usage of
> lb/type=word-dividing, which currently sits a little uncomfortably in
> the note. I suggest "Cae<lb type="worddiv"/>sari".

Don't know what note you're referring to. Don't see the point of the
@type attribute. Haven't done anything.

> (9bis) I suppose it would be a little too controversial to suggest
> changing the expansion of 'lb' to "line begins" rather than line break?

Too controversial for 1.4.1 certainly

> (10) msDesc: can we add the words "or other text-bearing object" to
> the end of the description of this element?

Yes. done.

> (11) num: is there a good reason why <num> isn't part of att.ranging?

None that I can think of. Done.