[tei-council] reminder

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Sat Jun 27 18:34:09 EDT 2009

Some suggestions:

(1) dimensions: maybe give at least one example of dimensions containing
<dim> (perhaps diameter, which is probably more common than
circumference). Also remove or correct the note at the end saying that
this contains only height, width, and depth.

(2) height/width/depth: I still don't find the definitions of these
elements very helpful (depth seems not to have changed, and still
implicitly refers to a codex). Surely the height, width, and depth of an
inscribed monument, for example, are defined not in relation to the text
(which may be on any surface) but to gravity and the viewer,
respectively. There must be a better description of these dimentions in
archaeological terms (I'll see if I can find a reference...)

(3) att.dimensions: can we add an example of @extent containing a word
such as "unknown" or "about half the page width", rather than just the
(presumably deprecated) number+unit combination?

(4) att.ranging: might the (much misunderstood) relationship of
@atLeast/atMost and @min/max be clarified slightly by the addition of
"the approximate measurement" (for the former pair) and "more than one
observation _or a range_" (for the latter)? Maybe someone can suggest an
even better way to make this difference clear...? (@notBefore/notAfter
and @from/to are better expressed on datable.)

(5) att.datable-w3c: picky correction, but <date when="0056">56
AD</date> should of course read "AD 56".

(6) Probably outside the scope of "minor corrections", but I still amn't
convinced by the numeric @degree attribute on certainty and precision.
(It strikes me as an example of what a senior epigraphy coleague refers
to as "spurious exactitude"--what does a precision of 0.5 mean?) Not
wanting to upset those who habitually use numerals here, and even less
so to break backward-compatibility, how about we add the existing
attributes @cert (to certainty) and @precision (to precision), with
their current suggested values 'low', 'medium', and 'high'?

(7) app: I note that the prose description of app seems not to have
changed from the good old days when it could only be used to represent a
set of variant readings. I'm pretty sure this has changed, and so the
description, "May contain an optional lemma and one or more readings" is
no longer true. App may now contain zero readings, and also some
combination of model.global. Can the prose be updated to reflect this?

(8) expan: here is an example (which I should have supplied long ago) of
expan used without choice:

(I think this is better than
just confuses matters, and probably belongs under "am" anyway...)

(9) lb: should we add an example of the usage of lb/type=word-dividing,
which currently sits a little uncomfortably in the note. I suggest
"Cae<lb type="worddiv"/>sari".

(9bis) I suppose it would be a little too controversial to suggest
changing the expansion of 'lb' to "line begins" rather than line break?

(10) msDesc: can we add the words "or other text-bearing object" to the
end of the description of this element?

(11) num: is there a good reason why <num> isn't part of att.ranging?

This should keep us going for now. ;-) (Sadly I'm not home and able to
do a thorough read-through until July 2, but I'm sure I'll have more
suggestions after that. I'm going to try to check the schema against a
few tens of thousands of new files in the meantime. Will let you know
how that goes.)

If they're disqualified from here, I'll put (6) and (11) in feature
requests @ SourceForge.

Cheers,

Gabby

--