[tei-council] [Fwd: Community Choice Awards: Finalist Notification]

Daniel Paul O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:03:02 EDT 2009

You know, why don't we think of something like this for next year? If we
were close this year, we'll be closer next, and we can start taking
video and photos with an eye to assembling something for next year's
competition (rather than the follow up, just as this year). The people
on council and the members at the meeting are so fun and interesting
that we'd be able to get lots of compelling stuff, I bet.

Maybe for this year, the thing to do is ask Dot (and maybe you Gaby), to
throw together some context for the Dylan video. But to think about
getting some stuff for next year from the next council meeting and the
next members meeting? The only thing I insist on is we must have photos
from the cafe basement in Lyon. Helps the Sourceforge core member-base
romanticise their current living arrangements: "join the TEI: you still
have to work in a basement,... but with us at least you can wear a beret!"

-dan

Gabriel BODARD wrote:
> So I'm getting more visions of this (if only we had a little more time).
>
> (1) Dot may well be the perfect face for the TEI--more photogenic than
> most of us, for starters! ;-) A short video explaining what the TEI is
> for--markup of text and editorial observations and decisions about
> text--illustrated with a couple of short examples from the Dylan lyrics,
> would make a great prefix to that video.
>
> (2) Then we would get a short skit from Sebastian on what technical work
> we get up to--including highlights such as the XSLT, conversion tools,
> i18n, Roma, the fact that we invented ODD that is implementable outside
> of TEI, etc.
>
> (3) A contextualizing bit tying these two together--perhaps
> Laurent?--and bringing in digital humanities and libraries as a whole.
> Would also help establish our international credentials.
>
> Anyone else who wants to record themselves saying a bit about what's
> important in TEI from their point of view, would also add to the
> arsenal. All of these videos could be uploaded to the TEI YouTube
> channel, and even if SourceForge don't want to know, they'll be a useful
> viral marketing tool out there and to call upon in the future.
>
> Can we do that in a week?

> Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>
>> Dot, darling, would you? James also has tons of photos of council, if
>> you want additional visuals.
>>
>> But to be honest, not too much explanation!
>>
>> Dot Porter wrote:
>>
>>> As the individual responsible for the encoding in that video, I'd be
>>> happy to go on camera and say a few words about the thought process
>>> behind it.
>>>
>>> Dot

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English
University of Lethbridge

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Founding Director, Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)
Chair, Electronic Editions Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)
Home Page: http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/