[tei-council] naming names again (<precision> and <certainty>)

Daniel Paul O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:04:07 EDT 2009

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>> though. We're really introducing the ability to use xpath2. @target
>> is simply a URL shorthand for //*[xml:id='x']/. Mixing syntaxes and
>> dividing paths over multiple attributes like this should, IMO, really
>> be seen as poor practice, however convenient it might seem.
>>
> saying <certainty match="//*[xml:id='x']/ ">
> is readable, though? the word does seem
> to convey the "path" semantics too

I agree Sebastian. @match is a nice compromise that catches the two ways
we are thinking of using it. It won't be silly if we add it to our
pointers later and it does allow people to see how @target and @match
work together. Maybe I wasn't being enthusiastic enough in saying I
could live with it. I could even grow to have some fondness for its ugly
mug.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Founding Director, Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)
Chair, Electronic Editions Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)
Home Page: http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/