[tei-council] Another issue with @pattern

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 09:27:25 EDT 2009

Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> Lou Burnard a écrit :
>> yes. this means that you are saying something about the certainty of the
>> *name* of whatever it is that #a123 resolves to (you probably should
>> have a @degree on the element too)
>
> Thanks.
>
> I note that @degree is optional. Since I don't want to assign a
> numerical value to degree (on either <certainty> or <precision>), but
> just generically to say "low"--i.e. I am calling into question the
> certainty of this element/attribute/value--it seemed best to us to omit
> the @degree altogether. @degree='0.1' would be nonsense, IMO.

Why is it nonsense to say @degree=0.1? It seems more nonsensical to say
nothing at all -- how do I know that <precision> means "low" precision
rather than "high" precision if you don't tell me somehow?

I suppose we could add another attribute as an alternative to @degree
(cant think of a name though) with values "high" "low" average" as we
did for @cert.