[tei-council] Another question....

Elena Pierazzo elena.pierazzo at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 08:58:27 EDT 2009

> I think this is anomalous. Can anyone come up with a specific use case where a
> <seg> should need to include things that can appear between paragraphs? note
> that it cannot currently contain paragraphs!

I honestly can't.
>> I would definitely avoid breaking this and not impose too many
>> constraints at the level of the guidelines. The flexibility we have at
>> present should be counterbalanced by annotation projects defining
>> precise encoding manuals, depending on the kind of precision and depth
>> they want to acheive. We had a long discussion on what <pc> should be
>> equivalent to, namely <w> or <c> and I am still not sure that we
>> should restrain to <w>.

I agree, also because we cannot say what <c/> is used for -- perhaps
some unconventional glyphs. In some manuscripts, for instance, there are
signs to mark the beginning of paragraphs or verses, that someone would
prefer to keep outside the <phr/> (which is a linguistic phrase). Or it
can be used to mark functional marks (carets, stars, etc.) for marginal
notes, glosses, etc.

Elena

--

Dr Elena Pierazzo