[tei-council] Another issue with @pattern

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 10:41:20 EDT 2009

 From a purely pragmatic point of view, I was happy with just using
@locus="notBefore" (in P4) or @locus="att.notBefore" (in P5).
@locus="@notBefore" is also fine--probably the best since it's intuitive
as well as relatively easy to implement. (So long as @target contains
the xml:id of an element being pointed at.)

On the other hand, if the proposed new system--which I admit has now
gotten so complicated with various counter-proposals that I've given up
trying to internalize it--would still allow for the simplest case of
@target containing an xml:id (without all the XPath wildcards), and
@locus (or any other new attribute) containing an attribute name, then
I'm happy to say let's develop a system for the more complex case that
might be useful. (And I won't even whisper "YAGNI" anywhere near this
list. ;-) )

If we can guarantee this new mechanism will be backward compatible,
however, should we just implement the simple case and table the better
system for Council action for next release?

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities