[tei-council] dim

Gabriel Bodard gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 5 09:34:49 EDT 2009

That is exactly what we use <dimensions> to mark up in the text:

<dimensions>
   <height unit="cm">16</height>
   <depth unit="cm">23</depth>
</dimensions>

The exact wording isn't important, but the sequence is, because in most
cases all we have is a set of dimensions in the form: 0.75 x 0.30 x 0.04
-- which we are able to disambiguate in markup to width,height,depth and
give a unit=metre, but we still want to display it in this order. It
seems perverse to have to (mechanically) change the order in the XML and
then (programmatically) change it back in rendering.

My understanding from the council meeting (although I wasn't there) was
that someone (probably Sebastian) did come up with a clever way to
enforce this, which was why this decision was made.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities