[tei-council] US Senate exposed to TEI

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 4 23:04:53 EDT 2009

I forgot to report on this: last week, three of us from U of Virginia
Press went up to Washington to present our digital American Founding Era
material to a meeting of the National Historical Publications and
Records Commission, mostly composed of historians, archivists, and
librarians. But it has two Congressional representatives, and one of
them, Senator Ben Cardin of Maryland, was there in person (the other
sent a staff member). So he was there for my slide presentation that
included a TEI-encoded document to Thomas Jefferson, with angle
brackets, syntax coloring, and all:

   http://lister.ei.virginia.edu/~drs2n/NHPRC/

(Web export of an Apple Keynote presentation).

We also visited staff in the Office of the Historian at the State
Department, where the Foreign Relations of the United States series

   http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ho/frus/index.htm

is being digitized into TEI; the search interface linked from the above
page runs on eXist with TEI XML on the back end.

TEI world domination is on track...

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA