[tei-council] num

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 28 13:50:36 EDT 2009

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Lou Burnard wrote:
>> This was indeed one of the options I proposed in my email. But I
>> wondered whether expanding the meaning (or reducing the constraints)
>> associated with "data.numeric" might not be considered to be flouting
>> the Birnbaum doctrine...
> not at all. call it data.extendednumeric if you like. Birnbaum does
> not disallow expansion

And just to remind people, since this is occasionally trotted out as an
excuse, that said doctrine does *not* prohibit breaking backwards
compatibility.  In fact it says: "Council should instead feel authorized
to break backward compatibility when Council concludes that the
advantages of doing so outweigh the disadvantages."  So it is really
just a question of whether we think doing so outweighs the disadvantages
of not doing so.

http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw09.xml

On the question of data.numeric, I see little problem in extending it
(or adding an additional datatype as suggested above).

-James
--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford