[tei-council] more on exemplum/@xml:lang in Specs files

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Wed May 13 22:33:35 EDT 2009

There's only one complicating feature. At the moment, there are Chinese
"translations" of many essentially language-neutral exempla. That is,
you have in a Specs file

   <exemplum> [content] </exemplum>   ...
   <exemplum xml:lang="zh-tw"> [content] </exemplum>

where "[content]" is identical in both (I count 53 cases based
on comparing <eg:egXML> via deep-equal().)

If we tag exemplum 1 in such cases with xml:lang="und" and the
stylesheet always processes <exemplum xml:lang="und">, then there will
be duplicate exempla output in the Chinese version of the HTML
reference.

Should we delete these identical "translations"? The alternative is not
to display exempla with @xml:lang="und" when the doc language is
Chinese, but that seems a very odd exception.

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> This sounds solid to me, a good direction. It does
> not, of course, preclude xml:lang on the actual
> text within the example.
>
> I am happy to get the
> stylesheets changed to reflect this - the algorithm
> sounds relatively obvious.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA