[tei-council] Values of @xml:lang on <exemplum>

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 30 10:05:23 EDT 2009

I think it's clear that there are two things being confused here.
1. There is the language used by the example itself.
2. There is the language used by the text in which the example is embedded.

xml:lang on <exemplum> should be the latter
xml:lang on <egXML> should be the former

Of course, usually the latter is embedded in the former. Whence the
confusion.

But there's no reason why you shouldn't have

<exemplum xml:lang="fr">
<egXML xml:lang="la">Caesar adsum jam forte</egXML>
qui pourrait s'exprimer en anglais comme:
<egXML xml:lang="en">Caesar I  am here at last</egXML>
ou peut etre..
</exemplum>

I haven't looked, but is there really no official language code for
"mixed" or "macaronic" or "unidentified"?