[tei-council] Values of @xml:lang on <exemplum>

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 30 09:44:02 EDT 2009

This is do-able within the next month. I don't mind taking it on as my
project, as I've been working with similar issues with our UVa Press
material.

Incidentally, I realized there is a perfectly straightforward (if
somewhat hack-ish) solution to handling exempla in Latin, etc.:

  <exemplum xml:lang="">
    <egXML xmlns="http://www.tei-c.org/ns/Examples" xml:lang="la">
    </egXML>
  </exemplum>

which asserts "this exemplum is language-neutral, but the sample code it
contains is in Latin".

David

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Excellent to get this sorted.
> > I would suggest, then, that we merge cases in #2 with #3 and assign them
> > all @xml:lang="". Those exempla are then considered language-neutral for
> > purposes of display. I assume that's more important to us than enabling
> > people to search for <exemplum>s that happen to be in Old English or
> > Arabic or whatever?
> >
> I am ambivalent about this. But on the whole I think your suggestion
> is the only practical one. We can change the schema for the Guidelines
> to make xml:lang compulsory on <exemplum>, by the way.
>
> the processing _will_ have to change. Can we get this done
> in the next month? how close are you to a listing all the
> exempla which need an xml:lang=""? I assume we just assign "en" to
> all the others which have no xml:lang at present.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA