[tei-council] ESF Proposal

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 28 05:10:07 EDT 2009

You'll remember that at our Lyon meeting Laurent and I were actioned to
go away and draft a proposal for an exploratory workshop for submission
to the European Science Foundation, on the topic of "whither P6?" or
words to that effect.

Time and space being what they are, I'm afraid we're perilously close to
missing the deadline (teatime on Thursday) for this one. But for what
it's worth, we do now have a draft and an initial list of proposed
invitees, which Council members are urgently requested to peruse and
comment on! It's at http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ESF/esfproposal.xml

Note that as well as the deadline, we're constrained by ESF rules about
who we can invite: they have to be people from institutions located in
ESF-funded countries. No observers, even self-funded, are permitted.
They will graciously permit a "small number" of exceptions for
scientifically essential participants, but we've chosen to interpret
that small number as "one" (the budget wouldn't realistically permit
more than that anyway)

Laurent and I think this is a great way of kicking off the debate about
how the TEI will develop during the next five years, whether or not we
get the funding (to be fair, the success rate is only around 15% so
don't book that time off work yet)