[tei-council] description of <constraint>

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Apr 20 10:25:03 EDT 2009

I think c) makes sense as a first step.

I also think that with the introduction of contstraint/constraintGrp we
are entering new territory where we have to expect that it may be
necessary to redesign in the future in a way that is not totally
backwards compatible. Of course that is to be avoided if possible, but
as the population of TEI users who will be making use of the new
elements is (1) relatively small and (2) relatively sophisticated,
therefore capable of making adjustments, backwards compatibility is
probably less critical here than in areas of the Guidelines that are
used by a larger population.

David

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> things work more or less with the new <constraint> and <constraintList>
> elements inside elementSpec and schemaSpec. I have not yet implemented
> their use in <attDef>, will do that gradually.
>

> However, the issue I'd like a decision on is about a description.
>
> there are four choices:
>
>   a) do nothing yet. group <constraint>s by implementation language
> inside <constraintList>s,
>       that's it
>
>   b) embed constraint description in the language itself, by whatever
> means come naturally.

> (or e) propose a more complex documentation structure)
>
> There may be issues in how to implement it, but if it can be
> done, I am inclined to say we should do c) for the June release.
> The argument in favour of a) is Laurent's sensible "do
> not rush into things" view; but the TEI philosophy of literate
> programming is fairly compelling.
>
> I18N of Schematron messages is an area that scares me, but I do not know
> what to do about it.

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA