[tei-council] Feature request 1933198: 'precision'

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Apr 9 09:37:43 EDT 2009

A detailed response from Tim.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:48:47 +0800
From: Tim Finney <tjf2n at virginia.edu>
To: David Sewell <dsewell at virginia.edu>
Cc: Markus Flatscher <markus.flatscher at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: More on dates, contd. (David: low priority)

David,

Thanks for telling me about this.

The proposal looks good but has a few rough edges.

Here is the proposal:

---

(1) Creation of a new element, <precision/> (empty element);

(2) element inherits global attributes and those from att.dimensions
(@min, @max, @atLeast, @atMost are the essential ones);

(3) Create a new attribute class (“att.qualifier” vel sim.) with the
attributes @degree, @locus, @target (currently defined ad hoc for
<certainty/>;

(4) define new attribute @stdDeviation for <precision/>, with datatype
numeric.

---

Here's what I think:

(1) is OK.

(2) Isn't @atLeast the same as @min and @atMost the same as @max? In my
view it is essential to have @assertedValue (or, better, @mostLikely) as
well so that you can give what you think is the most probable value
within an interval.

I would add @circa too, which can be used in place of @min and @max when
someone is encoding what has been given as an approximate quantity with
no mention of the range (i.e. interval) of possible values. I don't
think that @circa and @mostLikely are interchangable, but could live
with just @mostLikely.

See here for definitions of confidence interval and confidence level.
The most probable value is often but not always the central value within
the range defined by the interval:

http://www.stat.yale.edu/Courses/1997-98/101/confint.htm

You might also take a look at the section called "Confidence interval
for the simple matching distance" in chapter three of this:

http://alpha.reltech.org/tfinney/ATV/book/index.html

In humanities, our assertions are rarely based on a statistical
analysis. However, a person often has a reasonable idea of the upper and
lower limits of probable values and an idea of the most likely value
within the interval defined by these limits.

(3) OK, but I would prefer to use @conf (for confidence) rather than
@degree seeing that "confidence" is the conventional term in this
context. I would not be unhappy with @cert, but think that @conf is
better.

I think that the guidelines should give some guidance about what to use
for @conf in different situations. If you really do know what the
confidence level is then you could give it, e.g. 95%. (This necessarily
implies that you have done a statistical analysis.) If you haven't done
an analysis then you need to use forensic categories instead (e.g.
beyond reasonable doubt, more probable than not, doubtful). I believe
that in these circumstances, the encoder should not create an illusion
by plucking a percentage (or probability) out of the air but should
instead use categories (e.g. high, medium, low) which correspond to
notional ranges of confidence (e.g. > 95%, >50%, >5%). See my essay for
a slightly deeper treatment:

http://alpha.reltech.org/tfinney/uncertainty/uncertainty.html

The forensic categories (high, medium, low) also need to include
"unknown" for cases when the confidence level is unknown (e.g. a circa
date).

(4) I don't think that @stdDev is useful or necessary if @min, @max, and
@conf are available. The standard deviation of a set of measurements can
be used to construct a confidence interval under certain circumstances.
However, your average punter has no idea what range of possible values a
standard deviation implies or when it is a bad idea to use because the
sample is too small or not randomly selected or the sampling
distribution is not normal, etc. People who do know these things can
just present a confidence interval as a courtesy to the reader. The
choice is this: Give @stdDev, which is almost useless on its own. ("If I
put a bunch of numbers into my calculator and press SD then I get this
number. I haven't told you how many numbers I used or whether they
represent a random sample so you can't tell what the number really
means. But here it is anyway. It makes this look scientific, doesn't
it."). Alternatively, give the implied confidence interval, which most
people will understand. ("I'm pretty sure the value is between A and
B.")

Tim