[tei-council] the new <constraint> element

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 07:44:37 EDT 2009

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> what are we trying to achieve with grouping? do you want the
> constraintGrp to be addressable at the customization level? ie say
>
> <constraintGrp ident="harsh" mode="delete"/>
>
> in your ODD? currently the only point of <constraintGrp>
> is to group things by language/scheme; if you group
> by functionality, the Grp should certainly by identifiable,
> and we'd have to support @scheme on <constraint>.

I see what you mean, thank you for the explanation.  Playing devil's
advocate, along with ODD customising ODD, might one want to be able to
take on an ODD and then delete some category of contraints?  I honestly
don't really think so.  It is far more useful from a documentary
perspective to record deleting all the individual constraints rather
than a Grp of them.

> if the Grps are to be semantic, then I suggest that we need
> to go back and add considerably more in the way of
> metadata to them (<desc>, or the full <biblStruct>). otherwise,
> whats the point of grouping?

Yes, I don't think we want to go that far, and I now agree that maybe
semantic grouping isn't that useful.  However, even in non-semantically
grouped constraints, where do I record a description of the rule? Let's
say I want to have something different from the sch:report to describe
the purpose of the rule. (Or a chosen language might not have something
<desc> like.)  Should constraint specifically have <desc> inside it?
I'm also thinking from a TEI Documentation generation perspective.
Surely it is good to have somewhere to put information about why this
rule exists?  Something like:

<constraint ident="alt">
<desc>This rule attempts to ensure that information is provided to
encourage accessibility according to the <ref
target="http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-provide-equivalents">W3C Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines on providing alternatives to auditory
and visual content</ref>.  If HTML is not a target output this rule
could be safely deleted, and it is not strictly part of the TEI Abstract
Model.</desc>
  <sch:pattern name="Alt tags">
   <sch:rule context="tei:figure">
    <sch:report test="not(tei:figDesc or tei:head)"> You should
        provide information in a figure from which
        we can construct an alt attribute in HTML </sch:report>
   </sch:rule>
  </sch:pattern>
</constraint>

> my feeling at the moment is to keep it simple, and only
> use Grp for syntax (ie @scheme). if you want grouped
> constraints, we can extend <constraint> to model and
> attribute classes

I think that just makes it messier.  I'm happy enough to be forced to
have a <constraintGrp> even if I have only one constraint.

-James
--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford