[tei-council] Feature request 1933198: 'precision' element needed

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 07:02:25 EDT 2009

Might another possible use-case be in online reports of medical trials
or sociological experiments where in reporting the figures we might want
to be honest and indicate the standard deviation?  Ok, I'm not arguing
this is an area that the TEI is used a lot in at the moment...but we
might want to start trying to be adopted as a format by more scientific
projects.

-James

Gabriel Bodard wrote:
> I think the @stdDeviation attribute would be useful in precisely the
> sort of case that Tim was arguing for: namely where someone wants to
> record the precision of a figure or range with more statistical rigour
> than we are generally used to (I suspect 99% of the time most of us
> would be happy just to say "circa"). But with archaeological data, or
> geographical coordinates, or discussions of ages and durations, I can
> certainly imagine people wanting both to be able to give ranges and
> confidences and standard deviations.
>
> Standard deviation is so... um... standard, that I'd prefer not to have
> half a dozen projects inventing their own way to record it when we could
> standardize.
>
> Gabby
>
> Peter Boot a écrit :
>> Most of the proposal seems reasonable. I find it hard to think of a case
>> when one would need a stdDeviation attribute though. It seems to me the
>> kind of thing a project might add in its customisation.
>>
>> Peter

Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford