[tei-council] the new <constraint> element

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 04:46:53 EDT 2009

Syd Bauman wrote:
> * Why limit values of scheme= so severely? While I don't actually
>   know anyone who uses DSD, I don't see any reason to exclude it.
>   Would be nice if someone could develop a list of all the languages
>   that would make sense to use inside <constraint>.

My thinking was that to limit it at the start, and
add more languages as requested. You can use
"private" for anything, after all, and you'll have to
implement it....
> * Why isn't <constraintList> permitted inside <macroDef>? There may
>   well be a reason that hasn't jumped to my mind -- I haven't thought
>   this through very carefully -- but at first blush it would seem
>   useful.

is there a reason _to_ support it there?
> * Why is it "constraintList" rather than "listConstraint", which
>   would be analogous to <listPerson>, <listBibl>, etc.?

cf <attList>. thats the model I was copying.

>   But I think it might be a lot more logical to use:
>     <constraintList>
>       <constraint scheme="schematron"> schematron 1.6 for A </constraint>
>       <constraint scheme="isoschematron"> ISO schematron for A </constraint>
>       <constraint scheme="private"> CLIX for A </constraint>
>     </constraintList>
>     <constraintList scheme="isoschematron">
>       <constraint scheme="schematron"> schematron 1.6 for B </constraint>
>       <constraint scheme="isoschematron"> ISO schematron for B </constraint>
>       <constraint scheme="private"> CLIX for B </constraint>
>     </constraintList>

Yes, I can see the strength of this argument. I could
argue either way. What do the rest of the Council think.
> * What are the semantics of the att.identified attributes? I.e., what
>   does the ident= *mean*?
the same as on <attDef>, I'd say. ie unique within the containing *Spec
>  Does the
>   module have to be declared? What does it mean to specify module="A"
>   if the <constraint> is in module B?

pass. I have not thought through what @module might
mean here. the same argument applies to <attDef>.
> * What is the difference between <content> and <constraint
>   scheme="RELAXNG">?

good question.
> P.S. My P5 build process on my Mac is now completely broken.

indeed, I can imagine. Thing are in considerable flux,
with a trial move to XSLT 2.0. At the least, you need
to install Stylesheets2, and get Roma/roma2.sh available
as "roma2" on your path.

I apologize for this; it is bad engineering to change lots
of things at once, but the window of opportunity to put
in some concentrated hours of work was too good to miss.