[tei-council] Proposal for SF 2411994, "Define canonical way of referencing TEI element definitions"

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 24 09:43:08 EDT 2009

I don't believe we could escape an annual cost. One of the fundamentals
of the DOI system is that a DOI prefix is assigned by a registrar, and
these set fees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_object_identifier#DOI_assignment_fees

There are other registrars besides CrossRef, but their fees are
even higher.

TIB Hannover
(http://www.tib-hannover.de/en/the-tib/doi-registration-agency/): annual
fee €250. (focuses on scientific literature anyway)

mEDRA Europe (http://www.medra.org/en/index.htm): annual fee varies by
DOIs included, for 750 would be €1350 (!!).

EU Publications Office serves as a DOI registrar for official EU
publications but not, I think, for external publishers

There are of course open-source solutions for assigning permanent URLs
and resolving them via proxy servers, but the cost to us in time and
effort of implementing might exceed the CrossRef costs.

David