[tei-council] AMBER for your action

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Mar 21 18:08:36 EDT 2009

Dan O'Donnell wrote:
>> 2411994 	Define canonical way of referencing TEI element definitions
> Maybe~no
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2411994&group_id=106328&atid=644065
>
> This is a major undertaking, IMO. As the note says, we have a canonical
> way of referencing (by URL). This is a request to map this to another
> system that would allow third party resolution. Perhaps this is a P5.5
> undertaking (i.e. preparatory for P6), but then I'd want to hear a
> cost/benefit analysis.

I've added a comment to this, where I hope I make clear one reason why I
believe our current system of referencing by URL is inadequate.
(Basically that we don't preserve previous releases as a whole on the
website and so there is no _easy_ way to have theoretical meta
discussions concerning the evolution of elements. Thus while something
separate, I think this is a prerequisite to any robust DOI system.)

-James

--
Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford