[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: <note place="foot"/> vs. <note place="bottom"/>]

Laurent Romary Laurent.Romary at loria.fr
Fri Mar 20 04:23:57 EDT 2009

To answer at least your first point, "suggested" means concretely that
these values appear on your favourite XML editor when you use a
default TEI compliant schema (like the one by default on Oxygen, or
any your download without paying attention to the note issue). I agree
with that the potential complexity of the note issue should prevent us
from going to deep into defining values, but our standardisation duty
is to contribute to convergence by a) covering core usages as much as
we can and b) provide maintenance for strong suggestions we had made
so far.
Footnotes is to my view such a strong use case and David has proven us
(if need be) that 'foot' is the value that is used by default by TEI
encoders.

++ I would thus strongly suggest to reintroduce 'foot' with specific
documentation in the list of suggested values and ammend the prose for
bottom to prevent ambiguity.