[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: <note place="foot"/> vs. <note place="bottom"/>]

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Thu Mar 19 20:58:05 EDT 2009

Doing Google searches on

   "note place foot" TEI

and

   "note place bottom" TEI

is instructive.  [95 to 2 for the former.]

I'd say we are outvoted. I think the rationale for "bottom" was symmetry
with "top" (as a "topnote", if that exists, is something different from
a "headnote", which appears at the start of a text).

If our documentation for att.placement were free text we could say

     bottom (or foot)
        at the foot of the page

but the suggested value is generated by valItem/@ident, which allows
only a single token. We could amend the description to read

     bottom
       at the foot of the page (alternatively: <hi rend="bold">foot</hi>)

Or we could go back to "foot", except that we have all those printed
copies of the Guidelines out there with "bottom".