[tei-council] AMBER for your action

Gabriel BODARD gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 17 19:36:20 EDT 2009

Dan O'Donnell wrote:

> What I'm getting at is that, like Polkaroo and the male host on the
> Canadian children's show "the Polka Dot Door," locations and
> repositories seem never to be seen together (at least not in the
> examples we're getting): suggesting they might be one and the same
> thing, in terms of encoding.

Even if it were true that repositories and locations never existed in
tandem for a single manuscript or object, that would not mean that they
were synonyms. The repository is the institution (or individual, or
entity) that holds, owns, or curates the object; that supplies it was an
inventory or accession number; that grants permission to consult or
photograph it. The location may be a set of geographical coordinates; as
approximate as a city or as granular as a corner of a field; an address;
a building; a venue. An object held by the British Museum has a BM
inventory number, but may be in any of a number of locations--different
buildings, depositories, or even countries (on permanent loan in Kyoto,
Japan). An object held by the Museum of Aphrodisias has an Aph Inv No,
but may be _in situ_ in the city walls several hundred metres from the
museum itself. Both are useful pieces of information. But not all
objects have both. (For that matter, not all objects have _either_.)

Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Epigrapher & Digital Classicist)

Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London