[tei-council] TEI badges in PNG/GIF formats; please review

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 10 13:55:58 EDT 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, James Cummings wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to have the transparent sections appear white in those
> browsers that don't do transparency?  just because that is a more common
> background colour than light blue?

For the broken browsers, there is no control over the "transparency"
color of the PNG--it just shows up as a ghostly blue color. If I were at
a Windows machine I could create a screen grab to show the problem, but
this page gives some more info:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtest.htm

There are workarounds for the problem, but they are up to the webpage
author to implement.

My informal sense is that more and more Web authors are using
transparent PNGs and not worrying any more about the pre-MSIE 7 crowd.

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA