[tei-council] TEI badges in PNG/GIF formats; please review

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Mar 10 13:46:37 EDT 2009

David Sewell wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> The designer has tweaked the TEI badges with the final wording and
> format we requested. I have created a display page with them here:
>
> http://lister.ei.virginia.edu/~drs2n/Test/TEI-badges.html
>
> Please take one final look at them and let me know if you see any
> problems.
>
> I'm already aware of one issue. The designer created these as
> transparent PNG graphics; the transparency is needed so that the '<' and
> '>' can float outside of the rectangle. If you look very closely at the
> difference between the PNG and the GIF format, you'll notice that the
> PNG is smoother as PNG transparency is subtler than GIF transparency.
> However, transparent PNG's don't work in some older browser versions,
> notably Internet Explorer 6 and before (the transparent sections appear
> in a light blue color).
>
> Unless someone has a better idea, I would propose that we make both sets
> available and put a caveat on the Web page noting that the PNG versions
> aren't compatible with all browsers.

Sounds good. With perhaps James suggestion about the alternate
background colour.

> Dan, do you want to find a place on www.tei-c.org to put them? or shall
> I? And will you contribute text with suggested usage and links?

Yes. I circulated a text earlier that I think we can use with the
addition of this additional comment about the different versions
(perhaps, David, you and I can work out the final copy between us since
the intention is clear enough). We should leave the precise placement of
the page up to Chris Ruotolo, since she'll have a good sense of where
she wants it to go in the site's topology.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Associate Professor of English

Chair and CEO, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Founding Director, Digital Medievalist Project (http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)
Chair, Electronic Editions Advisory Board, Medieval Academy of America

Vox: +1 403 329-2377
Fax: +1 403 382-7191 (non-confidental)
Home Page: http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odonnell/