[tei-council] TEI badges in PNG/GIF formats; please review

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 10 13:35:42 EDT 2009

Everyone,

The designer has tweaked the TEI badges with the final wording and
format we requested. I have created a display page with them here:

http://lister.ei.virginia.edu/~drs2n/Test/TEI-badges.html

Please take one final look at them and let me know if you see any
problems.

I'm already aware of one issue. The designer created these as
transparent PNG graphics; the transparency is needed so that the '<' and
'>' can float outside of the rectangle. If you look very closely at the
difference between the PNG and the GIF format, you'll notice that the
PNG is smoother as PNG transparency is subtler than GIF transparency.
However, transparent PNG's don't work in some older browser versions,
notably Internet Explorer 6 and before (the transparent sections appear
in a light blue color).

Unless someone has a better idea, I would propose that we make both sets
available and put a caveat on the Web page noting that the PNG versions
aren't compatible with all browsers.

Dan, do you want to find a place on www.tei-c.org to put them? or shall
I? And will you contribute text with suggested usage and links?

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA