[tei-council] Lyon practicalities

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 18:46:38 EST 2009

Paul F. Schaffner wrote:
> I am only now beginning to (fearfully) consider these matters.
>
> -- does this seem an absurd route: fly to Gatwick, Eurostar
>    (train) from St Pancras to Lille; TGV to Lyon? (the object
>    is to avoid Paris; to avoid all occasions when I might need to
>    speak or understand French(!); and to avoid as much
>    optional flying as possible.)

The only thing wrong with this route is going to be getting from Gatwick
to St Pancras, which will involve crossing London by tube. But you're an
old hand at dealing with us Brits.  The route from London to Lyon via
Lille is strongly to be recommended: you don't have to cross Paris, and
the change of trains in Lille is very easy.

> -- I usually just use my CarPhone Warehouse SIM in the UK (or
>    buy a new one for ten pounds). Would a similar deal be
>    readily available in France? I.e., are cheap SIMs sold
>    everywhere, even to non-residents?

Yes. Go into a shop and ask for a mobicarte. You can even buy them in
supermarkets (but you may have to speak French...)

(And no, I don't have
>    or want an iPhone--as you'd expect, I dislike touchscreens and
>    Apple interfaces :)--, just a basic, reliable,  Motorola quad-band
>    unlocked GSM clamshell with good range and battery life.)

Enough geek speak already.