[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 25 13:55:06 EST 2009

Daniel Paul O'Donnell wrote:

> As a middle ground, could not a solution be to use key point at a
> different structure that contains the real pointer information? I.e. is
> not Peter's complaint that there is too much information for @key? And
> is a solution for that not to point to something where the multiple bits
> of information can be collected?

No, I'm sorry, but this doesn't really help much. Where would that
somewhere else be? There isn't anywhere else!

As designed, @key and @ref are intended to point to the "canonical" home
of information about a person, place etc. Note the word "the": I think
that implies there's only one such canonical home.

Now we have the problem that there are different *ways* of identifying
that canonical home. You say "nldai:info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454" and I
say  "openid:https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61" These are both, like the
many children of the <location> element, ways of getting to the right
place, whereever that might be. In a TEI-only world, it would be a
<person> element, and we'd point directly to it by means of @ref. But we
could also say, in the "openid" world, you get to it like this; in the
"nldai" world you get to it like this... etc.

The suggestion of using @key to supply many such values is a strictly
short-term solution. It works because in TEI-land we don't care what
values you supply for @key, as long as we can infer that identical
values mean you're talking about the same platonic entity . So note that
@key="foo bar" is *not* talking about the same entity as either
@key="foo" or @key="bar". That seems another argument against this being
the best possible solution, if we really think that "nlda" and "openid"
are equally good ways of getting to where we want to be, to add to the
formal ones Peter has already summarized. The right way of handling
these things is clearly to treat them as alternative identifiers, rather
than pointers, and that's what <idno> is for.

In the medium/long term therefore we need to find a better way of
integrating multiple <idno>s into the current structures. That involves
a careful re-consideration of the existing bibl structures, I'm afraid.
Again.