[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 25 13:05:45 EST 2009

Sebastian Rahtz schreef:
> in the short-term, I am unconvinced that @key cannot do the
> job for Laurent

Well, some reasons which haven't been mentioned up to now:

If the choice is between

    key="nldai:info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454
          openid:https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61"

and

    <idno type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
    <idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>

I would favour the idno element over the key attribute because

* the @type attribute's values can be very straightforwardly
   constricted to an known list of values, which is harder to
   do when multiple schemes and values are stored as part of a
   single text string (in the @key attribute);
* both the values and the schemes are straightforward to access
   in XSLT when using the <idno> solution;
* a rule-of-thumb in xml design is for me: if something has
   properties of its own (in this case, the identifier's scheme),
   it should be an element rather than an attribute.