[tei-council] State of Play update...

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 24 17:56:51 EST 2009

Peter Boot wrote:
> Lou Burnard schreef:
>> 2242044: introduce locusGrp
>> -- this has also had some discussion, but no strong consensus has
>> emerged as yet
>
> I think the issue is more or less clear. locusGrp is needed for those
> that want formal references to the start and end points of the locus
> using @from and @to. Thorsten suggests recommending locusGrp in case of
> a discontinuous locus, but we needn't go as far as that. We can just
> recommend: if you have a discontinuous locus and need the pointers, use
> locusGrp.
>
> If no-one on the council objects, I'd think this can be implemented.

TWo comments, as I attempt to implement it!

(a)
Presumably the <locusGrp> element should be repeatable? and it should
have a @scheme attribut which its child <locus> elements will all
inherit? Then you can have a discontinuous sequences of pages with two
different foliations:
<locusGrp scheme="#a">
<locus from="f1" to "f4"/>
<locus from="f8" to "f9"/>
</locusGrp>
<locusGrp scheme="#b">
<locus from="p3" to "p5"/>
<locus from="p44" to "p48"/>
</locusGrp>

(b)
Torsten proposes an example like this:
  <msItem>
<locusGrp>
<locus from="13" to="26">Bl. 13--26</locus>
<locus from="37" to="58">37--58</locus>
<locus from="82" to="96">82--96</locus>
</locusGrp>
<note>Stücke von Daniel Ecklin’s Reise ins h. Land</note>
</msItem>

My German is rubbish but I think "Bl." here is the German equivalent for
  "Ff" or "Fols", which means that the content of the <locus> elements
need to be concatenated (with some rules about punctuation between them
maybe) when the locationlist is produced ?

I am guessing that "Stucke" means something like "Pieces" or
"Fragments", which is why he has chosen  <note> rather than  <title> for
the summary title used.

It would be nice to see another example too...