[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 23 15:24:17 EST 2009

Lou Burnard schreef:
> (...)
> It seems to me that one way out of this argument might be to propose a
> new <authorStruct> element, which doesn't permit text, but does require
> the kinds of elements we're all agreed form a sensible part of a modern
> bibliographic structure.
> (...)

I can see the attraction there is in making a clean break with the
detritus of the past. But it would also introduce another complication
for those learning TEI. It's obviously an issue with ramifications far
beyond the idno question.

As a way to sidestep these ramifications, couldn't we introduce a
schematron rule that says something like: if an <author> has an <idno>
child, it must also have one name|persName|orgName child and can't have
text children. This would remove the mixed content problems.

In the cases that Syd mentions (et al, anonymous, unknown, various) you
would need text, but there wouldn't be an idno element in these cases.