[tei-council] [Fwd: Re: Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417]

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 23 04:22:38 EST 2009

Peter Boot schreef:
> 1. Mixed content
> -- ----- -------
> I concur wholeheartedly with Lou's aversion to
>      <author>
>         <idno type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
>         <idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
>         John Doe
>      </author>
> How do you access the name?  (...)

OK, this seems to be a general sentiment then.

> 2. author identification number
> -- ------ -------------- ------
> On the original issue Peter raised, some thoughts jump to mind.
>
> * Who says that key= can't have multiple values? Certainly it can,
>    syntactically, since the syntax is entirely up to the user. The
>    only thing that seems to stop one from using it this way is that
>    the Guidelines refer to its value in the singular ("a coded value
>    by means of an arbitrary identifier").

Using multiple values would lead to something like:
    key="nldai:info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454
         openid:https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61"

> * We have gone to great lengths to develop a lovely mechanism for
>    encoding details about a person (or organization):
>    (...)
>    are the use-cases here so different as to render our current
>    mechanism -- which would be to point to a <person> or <org> from
>    the ref= of either <author> itself or of the <persName> or
>    (currently not allowed) in the <person> or <org> -- insufficient?)

I agree this is a possible approach, but it seems like using a
sledgehammer to crack a nut.

> 3. encoding of author
> -- -------- -- ------
> (...)
> My logic is that I don't want the computer to have to read the
> content of <author> to figure out how many people or organizations
> are involved. I point out that with
>       <author>Peter Boot and Kevin Hawkins</author>
> the simple computer program has no way to know there are two authors.

Which is why I would use multiple author elements. If we were do what I
advocate, i.e. use <idno> within <author> as implictly applying to that
author, the understanding would have to be that this <author> element
refers to a single author.