[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 22 13:37:01 EST 2009

Lou Burnard schreef:
> Peter Boot wrote:
>> <idno corresp="#a1" type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
>> <idno corresp="#a1" type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
>>
>> <author xml:id="a1">
>>    John Doe
>> </author>
>>
 > (...)
> However, I don't understand why you need to link the idno to the name in
> any case. The idno is supposed to be a pointer to an authoritative
> source which presumably would give you the right name anyway.

Implying we could dispense with the author element altogether? Or
perhaps have an author element with an idno as its only content. But
then the TEI processing applications would have to know how to get at
that name.

> Suppose we have a work by John and Jane Doe, who each have an openIds,
> while only John has bothered to get a "nldai", whdere's the ambiguity in
>
> <author>John and Jane Doe</author>
>
> <idno type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
> <idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
> <idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/janedoe42</idno>
>
> We're using the idno to provide an additional access point for the work,
> right? so that we can recover all the works in which the right John
> Doe had a finger.

Depends on what you want to do with the data. I was thinking of a
situation where the presentation application wants to show, with each
author, a hyperlink to his/her entry in the identification system.