[tei-council] Proposal <idno> coverage -SF 2493417

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 22 12:44:18 EST 2009

Peter Boot wrote:
> Lou Burnard schreef:
>> But I remain unhappy with the idea of introducing additional elements
>> inside what is basically a text only element like <author>. Another
>> possibility I suppose might be to
>> put all the <idno>s for an item together, outside <author> or
>> <publisher> ?
>
> Yes we could. But that would imply the need to relate somehow the <idno>
> and the corresponding <author> (there might be multiple authors),
> perhaps like this:
>
> <idno corresp="#a1" type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
> <idno corresp="#a1" type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
>
> <author xml:id="a1">
>    John Doe
> </author>

why not the other way round?

but i agree, this is not very pretty. it's also fairly unlikely that
anyone would want to implement it.

However, I don't understand why you need to link the idno to the name in
any case. The idno is supposed to be a pointer to an authoritative
source which presumably would give you the right name anyway.

Suppose we have a work by John and Jane Doe, who each have an openIds,
while only John has bothered to get a "nldai", whdere's the ambiguity in

<author>John and Jane Doe</author>

<idno type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
<idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
<idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/janedoe42</idno>

We're using the idno to provide an additional access point for the work,
   right? so that we can recover all the works in which the right John
Doe had a finger.

> which is possible but, to my eyes, less pretty than
>
> <author>
>     <idno type="nldai">info:eu-repo/dai/nl/12456454</idno>
>     <idno type="openid">https://me.yahoo.com/johndoe61</idno>
>    John Doe
> </author>

I don't like this because of the mixed content. Call me old fashioned,
but mixed content makes me feel queasy.