[tei-council] "Getting Started" update

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Sun Dec 14 22:13:23 EST 2008

I've written a good chunk, but not all, of a first draft of the
Technical Background chapter, and updated Sourceforge. HTML version:

http://tei.oucs.ox.ac.uk/GettingStarted/html/tb.html

(thanks, Sebastian, for the transform).

A couple of questions.

1. I started a section on namespaces, but I wonder if the topic should
be introduced later. It is probably the trickiest thing to explain as
part of a basic introduction.

2. I will have no trouble creating very basic examples of the use of CSS
and XSLT to transform simple XML for browser viewing (using the nursery
rhyme example). But, Peter, I'm not quite sure what you mean in your
original outline by:

"The web, web servers, html, browsers. One very simple HTML example,
then point to other resources: 5p"

Do you mean that "Technical Background" should include basic information
about all of those things? Can we not assume that for practical purposes
most readers of this document will already know about them?

My thought was that it should be possible to talk about HTML
sufficiently in the context of "how to get from XML to the browser".

David

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA