[tei-council] Making absolutely bare a little more bare

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Fri Dec 5 10:45:27 EST 2008

As much as I'd like to say "see, it really is all div, seg, ab, and
list" (and of course crow that the TEI/ISO work is showing that I was
right about Word as the gold standard), I agree with James in that
source and publication statement are part of what separates a TEI
document from any old pre-html 2.0 document. It seems a not overly
burdensome addition to the minimal set and what makes a document a
document in a controlled way rather than just a collection of text.

When I teach TEI, I get them used to the idea that _coding_ need not be
burdensome using basic quirks-style html (i.e. without bothering about
doctypes); then gradually move up showing how a little bit more effort
achieves greater and greater precision and usefulness. I'd say these two
elements might mark the line at which you are crossing from barrier from
"get it working in a webbrowser" to "give me a document that means
something bibliographically."

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/