[tei-council] Roma II

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 10 16:52:56 EST 2008

Sebastian Rahtz schreef:
> There seems
> to be a general feeling that Roma is too useful
> and too important to be left alone.

Fully agreed

> Before we put any real effort into this, are there high-level
> views here about how Roma should develop? any views
> on architecture, scope, and implementation?

As I wrote earlier, I have some doubts about the wisdom of re-developing
functional software. Why not put the effort in extending the existing
Roma with useful functionality, such as
- adding copy element functionality,
- supporting the creation/manipulation of content models (instead of the
user having to write the models),
- support/help in creating schematron constraints?

I'd also say that other software (e.g. the TEI schema validation service
that there has been some talk about) really seems more urgent to me.

Could you explain what advantages there are in the proposed javascript
architecture? It doesn't seem to provide the desktop Roma environment
that people apparently would like to have.

Peter