[tei-council] Web search for tei-c.org (Was: Re: Internationalisation - two issues)

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Wed Oct 22 17:05:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, James Cummings wrote:

> However, it does make me realise that we have no good search mechanism
> on the site.  We could do customised google searches fairly easily for
> each of the language versions of the guidelines, couldn't we?  Or a
> search page which allowed options of the entire TEI-C site, the P5
> Guidelines (in whatever languages), etc.

How easy is it with Google Custom Search to customize things such as
subsections, output style, etc.?

Here at U of Virginia Press we have just subscribed to a low-cost
ad-free Web search service, Freefind.com (their free version includes
ads) to index the online version of a book. Take a look at

 http://gde.upress.virginia.edu/00C-gde.html

using username "tei-c", password "tei-c" (will be valid only for a
couple of days as this email is getting archived). Search for example on
"facsimile" or "TEI". When setting up a search interface for a site,
there are lots of options to control result format, indexing,
subsections, etc. http://gde.upress.virginia.edu/00C-gde.html
using username "tei-c", password "tei-c" (will be valid only for a
couple of days as this email is getting archived). Search for example on
"facsimile" or "TEI". When setting up a search interface for a site,
there are lots of options to control result format, indexing,
subsections, etc. Another nice feature is that Freefind spiders the site
when you ask it to, not (like Google) when it feels like it.

An ad-free subscription indexing up to 25,000 pages is US$19/month.
Worth considering for www.tei-c.org?

PO Box 801079, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA