[tei-council] TEI Council report

Daniel O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Tue Oct 7 10:45:16 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 15:15 +0100, Arianna Ciula wrote:

> As far as planning for the next two years, although some of the more
> strategical directions are up to the board to give - as Sebastian
> remarked, I still think that besides expanding (e.g. recommendations on
> physical bibliography) and improving (e.g. critical apparatus) the
> existing guidelines, we should add to our plan the following:
>
> - recommendations on integrating with/mapping to other standards (note
> the some of this is actually being done by SIGs)
> - collection of style sheets templates by module (we mentioned this at
> the last face to face meeting)
> - connection to other outreach projects (you mention some, but what
> about 'TEI by example'?)

Excellent suggestions, Arianna. That second one—which at the f2f was
assigned to me and sebastian—should probably go in sf as a feature
request, as perhaps should parts of your first. The third is something
that I've long wanted us to do.

In the case of the SIGs and the connection to other projects moreover, I
and a couple of other board members have discussed ways of encouraging
this kind of outreach and connection structurally/financially. By
establishing some kind of small grant/bounty similar to the Google
summer of code approach for graduate students or the like who wanted to
work on some suitable software or documentation for tools or
integration.

The board is supposed to be putting together such blue-sky ideas for
consideration at its meeting in London. Particularly if you have ideas
about how we might encourage such contacts structurally in addition to
just promoting enthusiasm, please let me know!

> [...]
> > Arianna Ciula (King's College London, UK)
> > James Cummings (University of Oxford, UK)
> > John Walsh (Indiana University, US)
> > Term January 2008 to December 2009
> > Gabriel Bodard, (King's College London, UK)
> > Peter Boot (Huygens Institute,NL)
> > Elena Pierazzo (King's College London)
> > Paul Schaffner (University of Michigan, US)
> > David Sewell (University of Virginia, US)
> > Manfred Thaller (University of Cologne, DE)
> > Non-elected
> > Laurent Romary (Chair)
> > Daniel O'Donnell (Board Chair)
> > Meetings
> > 2008
> > 7 February 2008: conference call
> > 3 - 4 April 2008: Galway Meeting
> > Local organisation: Moore Institute (Malte Rehbein)
> > Symposium on Wed. 2 April
> > 21 August 2008: conference call
> > 7 October 2008: conference call
> > 2009
> > Request for two face to face meetings
> > Call for hosting!
> > Organisation
> > No more editors… but
> > Editorial support group
> > Oxford (Lou Burnard, Sebastian Rahtz, James Cummings)
> > Duties
> > “air traffic controller”: monitoring of bug and feature requests,
> > periodic summaries of significant changes
> > Handling minor fixes and prepare releases
> > Maintain tools (XSL stylesheets and Roma)
> > Connection to SIGs
> > Susan Schreibman (SIG chair)
> > Guideline status
> > Two major official releases per year
> > TEI P5 1.1.0, Jul 2008
> > TEI P5 1.0.1 (Feb 2008)
> > TEI P5 1.xxxx, TEI MM
> > Ongoing version on SourceForge
> > Releases
> > SourceForge update, compiled packages+schemas, guidelines
> > Handling changes
> > All requests handled through the TEI SourceForge tracker (Bugs and
> > features)
> > Editorial support group duty
> > Trace bug/features on TEI-L and TEI-C discussion lists
> > Note: TEI-L as main source for feedback from the community
> > Prepare cases for council meetings
> > Break out sessions in Galway
> > green, amber, red lists in Telcos
> >
> > Outreach
> > Improvement of List, Website and Wiki usage and support
> > Liaison with the TEI board
> > Update on examples in the guidelines
> > Connection with SIGs
> > “Corresponding” council member
> > E.g.
> > Manuscripts - Elena Pierazzo
> > Correspondence - David Sewell
> > Physical bibliographies - Paul Schaffner
> > TEI in libraries SIG - John Walsh
> > Getting started with the TEI
> > Ed. Peter Boot
> > Tools
> > Internationalization
> > Misc. Projects: TEI-ISO collaboration, TEI Tite, ENRICH
> > Any plans for next year?
> > Roadmap to P6
> > Critical apparatus chapter
> > Recommendation for editing genetic editions

Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English
Director, Digital Medievalist Project http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative http://www.tei-c.org/