[tei-council] TEI Council report

Laurent Romary laurent.romary at loria.fr
Tue Oct 7 05:17:54 EDT 2008

For our Telco this afternoon, I put below a copy/paste from my draft
slides I intend to present at the next TEI MM.
Cheers,
Laurent

TEI Council
Laurent Romary
Overview
A good team and a good atmosphere

Technical work and evangelisation
E.g. http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/Working/tcw12.xml

… a trial phase (2 years)
Council members
Term January 2007 to December 2008
Tone Merete Bruvik (University of Bergen, NO)
Arianna Ciula (King's College London, UK)
James Cummings (University of Oxford, UK)
John Walsh (Indiana University, US)
Term January 2008 to December 2009
Gabriel Bodard, (King's College London, UK)
Peter Boot (Huygens Institute,NL)
Elena Pierazzo (King's College London)
Paul Schaffner (University of Michigan, US)
David Sewell (University of Virginia, US)
Manfred Thaller (University of Cologne, DE)
Non-elected
Laurent Romary (Chair)
Daniel O'Donnell (Board Chair)
Meetings
2008
7 February 2008: conference call
3 - 4 April 2008: Galway Meeting
Local organisation: Moore Institute (Malte Rehbein)
Symposium on Wed. 2 April
21 August 2008: conference call
7 October 2008: conference call
2009
Request for two face to face meetings
Call for hosting!
Organisation
No more editors… but
Editorial support group
Oxford (Lou Burnard, Sebastian Rahtz, James Cummings)
Duties
“air traffic controller”: monitoring of bug and feature requests,
periodic summaries of significant changes
Handling minor fixes and prepare releases
Maintain tools (XSL stylesheets and Roma)
Connection to SIGs
Susan Schreibman (SIG chair)
Guideline status
Two major official releases per year
TEI P5 1.1.0, Jul 2008
TEI P5 1.0.1 (Feb 2008)
TEI P5 1.xxxx, TEI MM
Ongoing version on SourceForge
Releases
SourceForge update, compiled packages+schemas, guidelines
Handling changes
All requests handled through the TEI SourceForge tracker (Bugs and
features)
Editorial support group duty
Trace bug/features on TEI-L and TEI-C discussion lists
Note: TEI-L as main source for feedback from the community
Prepare cases for council meetings
Break out sessions in Galway
green, amber, red lists in Telcos

Outreach
Improvement of List, Website and Wiki usage and support
Liaison with the TEI board
Update on examples in the guidelines
Connection with SIGs
“Corresponding” council member
E.g.
Manuscripts - Elena Pierazzo
Correspondence - David Sewell
Physical bibliographies - Paul Schaffner
TEI in libraries SIG - John Walsh
Getting started with the TEI
Ed. Peter Boot
Tools
Internationalization
Misc. Projects: TEI-ISO collaboration, TEI Tite, ENRICH
Any plans for next year?
Roadmap to P6
Critical apparatus chapter
Recommendation for editing genetic editions
Better support to communities
E.g. P4 to P5
…

… comments welcome