[tei-council] Booking TEI meeting: Gatwick vs. Heathrow?

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 13:36:52 EDT 2008

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> David Sewell wrote:
>> Given a choice, flight costs being roughly equal, is it more convenient
>> these days to fly into Gatwick or Heathrow airport? (Assuming public
>> transit from airport to the city.)
>>
>> I've flown into Gatwick in recent years but not Heathrow.
>
> Not much in it. Both have (expensive) trains to central London
> of about same duration.
>
> Since I regard Heathrow as one of the most unpleasant
> places in the UK, perhaps Gatwick a little nicer.

Whereas I would always fly into Heathrow out of preference over
Gatwick... so I think it is just personal preference.  I think transport
links from Heathrow are slightly better, more frequent, etc., however
I've not actually sat down and compared the two.  Going to/from Terminal
4 in Heathrow for those of us from Oxford has gotten more difficult
because now our bus doesn't go directly there.

-James