[tei-council] Requests 1925125 and 1933198

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 10 07:56:08 EDT 2008

Laurent Romary wrote:
> I am lost here. If the point is to replace @extend everywhere else by
> @quantity and @unit, then there is no need to change @extend in <orth>
> and <pron>.
> Lou: you can be tough on me if I am being stupid here :-}

I think the plan is to in addition to @extent as a data.word have @unit
and @quantity as a more specific version.  @extent on orth and pron I
believe means something different really from how @extent is used
elsewhere.  Perhaps a new attribute should be created for orth and pron?

Though I may be misunderstanding the situation, I seem to be having one
of those days.

-James

> Le 10 sept. 08 à 12:57, Lou Burnard a écrit :
>
>> Gabriel Bodard wrote:
>>> It seems to be that orth and pron are red herrings, here-- at extent
>>> means
>>> something different in these cases and so should *not* be replaced
>>> with
>>> @quantity and @unit.
>>
>> Yes, I agree. @extent on <pron> seems to be used solely to show
>> whether
>> the pronunciation is given for the whole word or not (so it should
>> really be something like @full="yes|no|dunno")
>>
>> @extent on <orth> has specific values full, pref(ix), suff(ix),
>> part(ial) -- this  could usefully be renamed, I think.

Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford