[tei-council] Getting started

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Thu Aug 28 12:50:40 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 08:14 +0100, Lou Burnard wrote:
> In message <48B5C6E7.3020507 at oucs.ox.ac.uk> Sebastian Rahtz
> <sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> > Dan O'Donnell wrote:
> > > I've also set up a folder on the TEI main website for council storage,
> > > though svn might be better. Should we maybe consider leaving all
> > > material there instead of at TEI-C.
> >
> > except that you dont get any rendering of docs. so SF is best for
> > material which should really be regarded as source, not
> > directly-readable. And I'd guess this GS doc falls into that category.
>
> I dont disagree with Sebastian about the relative advantages of the sf
> repository and the open cms one as a location for authoring material. However
> (a) it's not true that you get NO rendering on the Open CMS site  (b) you
> don't on the other hand get any rendering at all if you just look at the SVN
> repository.
>
> What we should have is an automated way of publishing material from the SF
> repository to the OpenCMS site. That shouldn't be beyond the wit of
> information services, surely.
>
> And while I also think OpenCMS is a pain, it is the system we have and it
> would be foolish not to work with it just because it sucks. The altermnative
> is that we proliferate official repositories and confuse everyone.

Yes. Let's see what we can do about it. What we need I think is a
council documents editor: i.e. somebody who decides what we want on
tei-c and is responsible for working with Chris R who is the main site
editor to make sure it is there and working properly. Initially we could
do this by hand; the main problem with OpenCMS in my view is that the
usual open-source skill sets don't seem to transfer over to it that
well. So every scripting need seems to require an expert or research.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)

vox: +1 (403) 329-2377