[tei-council] Getting started

Dan O'Donnell daniel.odonnell at uleth.ca
Wed Aug 27 15:42:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 20:23 +0100, Lou's Laptop wrote:
> Dan O'Donnell wrote:
> > I've also set up a folder on the TEI main website for council storage,
> > though svn might be better. Should we maybe consider leaving all
> > material there instead of at TEI-C. Except the minutes and agendas, of
> > course since they've historically gone at tei-c.
> >

> What is "the TEI main website"? I know of only the sourceforge
> repository (managed by svn) and the TEI consortium official website
> (managed at virginia under opencms)

Hmm. I'd have thought that "main" would be a reasonably close shorthand
for "the TEI consortium official website (managed at virginia under
opencms)," especially in the context of a contrast with the svn server
(aka "the sourceforge repository (managed by svn)") and when further
described later in the sentence as "TEI-C". But perhaps I underestimated
the difficulties of following the discussion.

> Where is this folder and why is it necessary?

The folder is there because I was asked to get one put on "the TEI
consortium official website (managed at virginia under opencms)" when we
were in Galway in response to complaints that Council had no place to
put documents on "the TEI consortium official website (managed at
virginia under opencms)."

In general, it was felt that "the TEI consortium official website
(managed at virginia under opencms)" was not as responsive as it could
be to the needs of Council and I was asked to start doing something
about it, which I did. However, as the current point under discussion
suggests, it may be wiser to not use such space on "the TEI consortium
official website (managed at virginia under opencms)" after all: perhaps
it is better to store such working material at "the sourceforge
repository (managed by svn)" using a directory structure similar to that
proposed by David.

> > -dan
> >

> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 19:59 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> >
> >> yes, I agree with David, we should have an area for Documents or Papers
> >> or Books, to isolate this class of things.

Daniel Paul O'Donnell
Chair, Text Encoding Initiative (http://www.tei-c.org/)
Director, Digital Medievalist Project
(http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/)