[tei-council] [Fwd: and then there's the TBOs question]

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Wed Aug 6 09:51:26 EDT 2008

> The difference between e.g. title and docTitle is that the former
> is what the catalogue says and the latter what the titlepage says.
> They may not be the same.

But you're selling <title> short. It is already overloaded, as it
were. It may represent what the catalogue says (e.g., when in
<biblStruct>), it may represent the title I dreamed up for my digital
edition (when in TEI/teiHeader/fileDesc/titleStmt), it may represent
a short title used as reference, or it may represent how a title
appeared in the source running prose, complete with other markup:

  <lb/>Nephew Albert: I Leave the Island
  Hagan <lb/>in a Poker Game</title>, a novel which, even in
  paperback ...

I am just wondering aloud if we can pile one more use onto <title>:
the title as it appears on the title page when a descendant of
<titlePage>. Thus allowing us to eliminate <docTitle>.

The disadvantage I see with this particular suggestion is that it is
conceivable, if unlikely, that a title page contains titles of other
works, e.g. in an advertisement or as a part of the document title.
If we eliminate <docTitle> it may be hard to differentiate those.
(But there are other ways of doing this -- a particular value of
type= or a new doc= attribute, e.g.)