[tei-council] let's sort out the <w> problem first...

Syd Bauman Syd_Bauman at Brown.edu
Tue Aug 5 20:56:57 EDT 2008

LB> cries of "about time too"?

About time, too!  :-)

LB> a. change <w> and <m> to have macro.paraContent, like all the other
LB> model.segLike elements
LB> b. permit these two to contain an appropriate subset of  "sublexical"
LB> elements rather than model.segLike
LB>
LB> My preference would be for the latter. I suggest that the appropriate
LB> subset would consist of
LB> - current members of model.pPart.edit
LB> - current members of model.hiLike
LB> Whether this should consitute a new "sublexical" class is probably
LB> best left to the next revision of the class system, however.

I generally like (b), but would allow model.pPart.edit and
mdoel.hiLike in addition to, rather than instead of, model.segLike.

The MONK project has been intermittently working on a serious P5
customization that includes, among other things, reasonable content
for <w>. We took the element (as opposed to class) approach, and had
started developing a list of what elements should be allowed inside
<w>. It will take a bit of skimming through old e-mail, but I would
be happy to post that list here, if you like.