[tei-council] and then there's the TBOs question

James Cummings James.Cummings at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 5 18:37:33 EDT 2008

msDesc (and predecessors) has for quite awhile been used by those
cataloguing incunabula, and in every instance needing some hacks and
abuse here and there to fit print-model concepts into a manuscript
description.  I am, I admit, a bit uneasy at using ms* elements to
describe things which aren't inscribed/written by hand.  However, it
does seem to me that these are fairly minor changes which would satisfy
a lot of people in the medium term.  But I do think that sometime in the
next couple years we should be re-investigating the best way to handle
manuscript and early print resources so that those cataloguing the
latter are properly catered for.  I'd support these suggestions with the
caveat that we should also return to the msDesc module at some point to
loosen-up/re-examine some of its content models and make easier more
general use of certain elements (like <physDesc>) by those not working
with manuscript materials.

-James

Lou's Laptop wrote:
> A number of projects cataloguing early print material and
> incunables have reported that the current msdescription module meets
> most of their requirements, albeit with some grimaces about the names of the
> elements. It has been suggested that it would be desirable in the
> medium term to try to generalise the "ms*" elements into
> "text-bearing-object*". In the immediate short term however, a
> surprisingly small number of minor modifications would enable all of
> what is reported as needful by at least one major project aiming to
> catalogue incunables:
>
> 1. the elements docAuthor, docDate, docImprint, and docTitle currently
> permitted only within a titlePage, should be made available within
> msItem and msContents.
>
> 2. a new typeDesc element, analagous to handDesc, and as an
> alternative to it, is needed to contain descriptions of the
> typographic features of a printed source, within the physDesc.
>

> We could work this into the next release if there is general agreement
> that it's not a step in the wrong direction... In any case, I propose
> putting these two ideas into feature request form for discussion at the
> next opportunity.

Dr James Cummings, Research Technologies Service, University of Oxford