[tei-council] [Fwd: abuse of <desc>]

Ciula, Arianna arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Jul 2 10:19:30 EDT 2008

Trying again...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: abuse of <desc>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:08:10 +0100
From: Arianna Ciula <arianna.ciula at kcl.ac.uk>
To: TEI Council <tei-council at lists.village.Virginia.EDU>

There is actually one mistake (or possibly more than that and therefore
something we cannot tackle right now) that has been reported by the
following paper at the DH conference in Finland last week:
Øyvind Eide and Christian-Emil Ore, 'TEI and cultural heritage
ontologies', paper presented at the Digital Humanities conference 2008.

If you look at the definition of <desc>:
'(description) contains a brief description of the intended usage,
purpose, or application of its parent element.'

it is evident that to use it to contain a description in a much broader
sense than the one above is actually abuse. And we do this especially
with elements that use model.labelLike. See for instance the <event
type="marriage" when="1859-04-26"> or the first <org> example or the new
climate example more evidently than others in the ND chapter.

Øyvind and Christian -together with other things- proposed the
introduction of a new more generic element called <description>. I I
suppose it is wiser to wait for a more formal proposal from them and the
SIG ontologies, so we can't deal with this right now, but thought I
pointed this out to the rest of the council that wasn't at DH.

Arianna

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I'm proposing to make the release on 4th July (well, maybe 5th), so if
> anyone knows of mistakes so far uncorrected, now is the time
> to squeak
>
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz
> Information Manager, Oxford University Computing Services

Dr Arianna Ciula
Research Associate
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London