[tei-council] P4 to P5: figure no longer allowed after div?

Peter Boot pboot at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 1 08:49:19 EDT 2008

One of the things that Brett brings up in SF feature request 1900115 is
the issue of figures in div.

It appears that the following is valid in P4
                 <figure></figure>
but not in P5.

I just verified this using Pizza chef and Roma generated dtd's.

On the other hand, placing the figure before the div, as in
                 <figure></figure>
is valid in both P4 and P5.

The situation is similar with respect to numbered div's.

I know there are people that feel this is the correct behaviour with
paragraphs rather than figures. Has there been a conscious decision to
tighten the schemas in this respect, or could it be an oversight? Or am
I missing something?

Peter